Monday, July 29, 2013

My worst day as a parent....

On day in Walmart in Brandon, when Jeremy was away in Hawaii and still posting photos of him on a beach (not working and I was totally jealous) at the checkout, Brooke and Chloe were climbing all over the cart. Seriously driving me insane, and frustrating me. I asked them 4 times to please sit still in the cart, they didn't listen, so I raised my voice and sternly said "I said sit still". This lady walked by and gave me a dirty look.
 I said "You don't need to look at me like that"
She said "Why not?"
I said "because it's none of your business"
She said "You don't yell at your kids in public"
I said "What?" (I was a little shocked and now totally pissed off)
She said "You don't yell at your kids in public"
 I said "and what do you think I should do?"
She said "Ask nicely"
I said "How many times do I ask nicely before I'm allowed to get frustrated?"
Her reply "You don't yell at your kids in public"

The lady ringing me in said, sometimes people need to keep their mouth shut and mind their own business. I wouldn't worry about what she said. It looks like you need a break take the kids to the park or something to blow off some steam. (My first thought was...yes...let's reward the bad behaviour by taking the kids to the park to play....ummm no we are going home and they are going to their room.) I said "thanks" paid and left...while I cried the whole way home and to my friend Erin's house. By far this was one of my worst days as a parent.

I was so pissed off, and I totally felt like a horrible parent and here I was doing it all on my own like a single parent only not. And this self righteous bitch is basically telling me I'm a horrible parent.

First off, my husband is away, training to defend/fight for our country, and you are making me feel like I don't deserve the right to breath. I'm adjusting to him being away, I'm trying to get over the jealousy that he's on a beach sipping beer and swimming with sharks and taking in the sites and history, while I stay at home and raise our children alone.

It's not that I don't think raising the children is and important and great job (most days) but if I had the choice, I would have loved to have been the one on the beach in Hawaii. lol Who wouldn't?! Heck, I'd take the kids with me! I'm not picky.

On this particular day, the kids ruined my day, and that lady made it worse. Thank heavens for good friends.

That is an example of how you never know what someone else is going through and why sometimes, it's best to keep your mouth shut. I never comment or give a dirty look to a woman who is stern with her children, even if she was to raise her voice, or threaten a spank....I always think to myself, she's having a rough day and I feel for her. I think the next time I hear someone going through that, I'm going to stop and say "you are a great mom, the day will get better, if not, tomorrow's a new one" Sometimes, we just need to give more support rather then beating someone when they are down.

No comments: