On Wednesday morning, the neighbourhood of Westwood (which would be where we live) in Winnipeg, was shocked by the news that 2 young children were found in critical condition and their mother was missing.
I have been following this story since the very beginning. I think it's mostly because it's so close in location to where we live. Anyone who knows me knows that I do not follow the news and most of the time I have no idea what is going on, nor do I put any interest into any news article. Maybe it's because the missing woman and I share a name or maybe because I hate seeing everyone hate on her, whatever the reason, this story has my attention, I check the news sites several times a day to see if there is any news or if they have located the mother.
There were little details given by police, other then a description of the mom, stating that the two children were found in the bathtub in critical condition and died at the hospital and that the mother, Lisa has disappeared.
Since Wednesday evening, I have been pretty confident that, Lisa, would be found dead. Her husband was at work and the mother in law or mother came to the house shortly after the 911 hang up call, which is what prompted police to investigate. The media found out that she was being treated for PPD. Lisa, was getting help daily from her mother or mother in law with the kids. She had a support network and I'm sure they knew that she was being treated for PPD and that is why they were there to help her out.
Yet, I've heard comments from people saying that PPD is an excuse and that she needs to be held accountable and that she should have reached out for help. It sounds to me like she did reach out for help and was getting some help. Maybe she did hold herself accountable and that is why she has disappeared.
Postpartum Depression (PPD) is quite common, yet women feel shamed, inadequate and unmotherly if they admit that they are depressed. It's like reaching for help when it's needed is a bad thing. Sometimes the mother experiencing PPD will think that it's a phase and it will go away on it's own, but often it does not.
I really think it's unfair to assume and to judge this woman and her family. It sounds to me as though, they were trying to help her out, they were doing everything that most people would do to help someone with PPD. It sounds like it was something else that was going on. I still don't like that people jump to it was her...she could have woke to found the kids like that....someone could have come into the home and taken her and hurt the kids. There is no evidence of that as far as I know, but those scenarios are just as likely as her doing it.
This family needs support and help, and all I hear are people talking about PPD and how she should come forward and take her punishment or that they hope she is dead. They make it sound as thought PPD was her fault. It really angers me to hear these opinions from people who likely have never been depressed a day in their life. It's like a non-smoker telling a smoker to quit and that it's easy.
Today, they are diving into the river to look for her. They have been searching for 3 days for her with a few sightings and few leads. They are checking peoples garages, sheds and other outdoor buildings, I think they are at a loss as to where else to look for her.
No comments:
Post a Comment