Friday, July 05, 2013

Literacy Links

In the city here, the school division sends a teacher to the homes of children registered for Kindergarten, to "evaluate" the child so that the kindergarten teacher has some knowledge of the child's abilities before he/she enters the classroom.

Today, we had our first visit from Katie. We read stories, made a book, attempted letter recognition, and went over what sound each letter makes.

Brooke was really excited to spend time with Katie, and she worked really hard and talked a lot during the first little bit of the visit. She didn't do as well with her alphabet as I thought she would have, as she knows most of her letter by sight, but only got about 5 of them today. Katie told me that she'll ask Brooke each time she comes. Chloe even got some letters that Brooke didn't (although, I know she knows those letters!).

The girls made a book of the things they like, Brooke spent a lot of time drawing, but wasn't so interested in trying to spell the words out herself. In fact, she was trying to write Ice Cream, Katie asked her what letter makes the I sound and she said I 3 times....and Brooke wrote I 3 times, along with a K and an E...so Brooke spelled her first word by herself...."IKE" for Ice. lol Some of the things she does with Brooke I never thought of doing, like trying to make Brooke spell a word on her own...I never thought of getting her to do that. lol

We sang the alphabet, and the girls both did good with singing. Brooke didn't wanna repeat the sounds of the letters, but Chloe was all over that, she thought that was great fun.

Just before Katie left, she and Brooke read a french book. Brooke's first introduction to french.

At the end of the visit, Katie, gave Brooke the choice between two books, of course she picked the princess books. lol




No comments: