Great Big Sea was playing in Halifax in Feb. Troy, Tim, and I decided it would make an awesome road trip. We started making the plans to go down to Halifax to the concert. We decided to take the Echo down and that Tim would be the driver, we also decided that we would stay the night in Halifax at the Lord Nelson Hotel. It looked to be a pretty nice hotel and it was within walking distance of the concert site, which was in the University SUB(student union building). Tim ordered the tickets and I booked the hotel...the plan was set in place. Now none of us are all that familiar with Halifax, I had only been there once and it was a short trip, Troy had never been there, and Tim didn't know the city that well either.
The day of the concert we hop into the Echo and head towards Halifax. It's a great trip down, lots of laughing and singing along to Great Big Sea tunes which were blaring from the Echo's speakers. First things first when we arrive is to get our tickets from the SUB. That was an adventure in it's own. We didn't know the city let alone a university, which is it's own little community in many ways. We drove around for what seemed like forever and we finally got there and picked up the tickets. Troy and I decided that Tim should be responsible for holding on to the tickets until Concert time.
Next stop...Lord Nelson Hotel. Let me tell you, I felt like royalty staying there, with it's valet parking and beautiful landscape. The hotel sits in what I would call a downtown type area, there were lots of shops and pubs around. The inside of the hotel lobby is something that is nearly impossible to explain properly. It had cathedral ceilings, with a huge chandelier. There was a pub off to the left of the lobby and an entrance to the street outside to the right. As well as a curved staircase on the right that led to the upper level, where there were chairs and tables and maybe banquet halls or meeting rooms. It was a wonderful hotel. The elevators looked like they were built way back when since I don't know the history of elevators, I can't guess, however they looked kinda like the ones that they had on the Titantic movie. The hotel room however was your normal hotel room, with a tv, two beds, a dresser, a bathroom, just typical. I felt rich tho when I was standing in the lobby!
After we threw our stuff up in our room and we sat on the beds for a min, we decided it was time for some food and to get some beer before the concert. We ventured out into the city in the search of a liquor store. We drove for what seemed like hrs and finally found one. We got our beer and decided to head back to the hotel, as we thought we could either eat at the pub there or get McDonalds or Subway since both were right next to the hotel.
The trip back to the hotel was quite an adventure. We drove around the same block like 6 times. On the 6th time around the block we were stopped at a set of lights and straight a head of us was a Blockbuster. We are sitting at the red light and out of no where Tim says "Look there's Blockbuster, I know exactly where we are!" Troy and I started laughing and Tim says "What?" Troy says "We've passed that Blockbuster 6 times! Even I know where we are!" We laughed for quite a long while as we circled around the same block once again. Then came the back seat driving, I think we need to go this way, no it's that way...by the time we got back to the hotel room, it was later then we had expected, none of us felt like drinking and we were starved.
We went to Subway grabed a sub and had a few beer then headed up to the concert.
This Great Big Sea concert happens to be the best concert I have ever been to, it was a little crowded, no sitting room, but Tim, Troy and I were about 7 rows back from the stage! And you might know I didn't have my camera with me. I am so upset that I didn't have it, cuz I would have got some awesome pictures!!!
Great Big Sea was awesome in concert that night, and we really enjoyed it all, my legs were pretty sore the next day from all the jumping and stuff, but it was awesome. No one pushed to get a head of you at the concert, everyone was really friendly, which I think helped make this concert the best one I have ever been to.
1 comment:
I liked that blockbuster
Post a Comment