Saturday, January 28, 2006

I wanna be a ______ when I grow up!

We've all said it when we were kids, and some of us still do to this day.

As some people know, I volunteer for Junior Achievement on Tuesdays. This is a program for high school students that teaches them the basics of business, how to set up a business, how to produce a product, how to market their idea and how to sell the product. It's a great program, and I really enjoy working with the kids.

There is this one girl in the group, Emily, who entertains me so much. Emily is the company's VP of Finance. If we had an award for the biggest drama queen she would definitely come in first! She's so funny though. Just before Christmas, we took all the kids out selling including the executive, who aren't normally allowed to go out selling, because they have other duties to tend. Emily was in my car when we went out, she flips from one subject to another faster then me or my mom(if you can imagine that!). I find it hard to keep up with her conversations.

Anyway, one of the topics in the car that night was what the girls wanted to be when they grew up. Emily listed off 7 things. I asked her if she planned on being all those things at once, and she said no, some of them she was double thinking and wasn't sure of anymore. Here is what I remember from her list...I hope I can get them all, she talks pretty fast too! haha. Guidance Counceller, Nurse, Cop, Chef, Business Owner, Actress, and ......Ohh I forget the last one! Maybe Tim will remember when he reads this and be nice enough to post it for me!

I asked Emily why she wanted to be a Cop and not a RCMP Officer. She stated very bluntly, because she wanted to carry a gun. haha. I didn't even know that RCMP didn't have guns, anyway, we all got a chuckle out of that.

It reminded me of when I was a little girl, and all the things I wanted to be when I grew up. It would be nice, if everyone who reads this would post what they said in answer to this question when they were kids.

I wanted to be a teacher, I think that is one thing that I actually stayed pretty consistant with, until my last few years of school, when I decided that I might like to be an accountant or a doctor. I opted for the doctor, and well we all know how that worked out. UPS is not a clinic, therefore it's safe to say I did not become a doctor! haha.

5 comments:

jen said...

i wanted to be a geriactric physiotherapist..then i wanted to be a social worker, again a geriactric one, now i would like to work at the border crossing on campobello...but instead i am content to sit at my desk and rate the day away.

Anonymous said...

I think it was a surgeon

Anonymous said...

I wanted to be a truck driver, and then i wanted to be a stuntman. I don't think that i would have made a good stuntman though, the way that I always say "ow".

Lisa said...

LMAO Tim I think you would be right about the Stuntman!

You are a bit spleeny!!!haha

But I must say you have improved significantly!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... what did I want to be when I grew up.. I can remember wanting to be a teacher.. A hairdresser.. but most of all a Mother.... so glad that part came true.. I am so proud of both You and Troy .. even though Motherhood wasn't quite like playing with my dolls. I couldn't just put you to bed when you cried or stick bottle in your mouth... and of course I really didn't like having to be the meanie but it was all worth it.. love ya loads...