Monday, July 10, 2006

Canada Day Weekend According to Loopy

Happy Canada Day Everyone!!!!

I spent Canada Day weekend in PEI...My home away from home! I love it there, and have decided that if the chance ever came up to move there....I would be packing my bags faster then you could say "supercalafragalisticexpaladoious"!

I went over to PEI on Thursday evening. When I got to the campground I found out that we had to have a security card inorder to get into the campground. I also had to fork out 5 dollars a piece for the cards...kind of a good improvement. I finally got to see Mom and Dad's new trailer that they bought like 3 years ago! I can't believe I waited so long to get over there, and I miss it so dearly! I brought a friend of mine with me, Jeremy. He made supper while I did some unpacking and visiting with the other season lotters.

We stepped outside for a smoke and I was quickly asked by Alan (I think?) how come the campfire wasn't going. I told him I didn't know it was my job and thought that was something that him and Rob took care of. Soon thereafter there was a raging fire! And I do mean raging! The fire was burning so hot that the fire pit had a wonderful RED glow to it! I don't think I would have reached out and touched it tho! We had a few drinks and enjoyed the company of the other campers. There were jokes being told, and we got some useful information on PEI from the islanders.

Jeremy thinks that the Islanders speak with a bit of a french accent, as he says they roll their "R"s and are heavy on the "S"s...I think he was being picky for a boy from Winnipeg with a free place to stay!!! LOL

I found out that there are approximately 100,000 people who live on PEI year round. I heard once that the population of Cavendish in the winter was 11. 11 people?!?! Can you even call that a population?!?! haha

The soil in PEI (as most of you know) has a red color to it. One of my ex boyfriends used to say it was the result of a Red Food Coloring plant that exploded. I found out that he was infact wrong (like there was any doubt) and the reason the soil is read is because of the high levels of Iron in the soil.

I turned in early on Thursday night as I was exhausted from the drive (yes I know it really isn't that far..but was still tired from the drive!)

Friday, Jeremy and I headed to Charlottetown to see about getting his concert tickets and to wait for my friends to arrive on the island. We walked the streets of downtown Charlottetown looking for a belt, as I was losing my shorts! Literally! LOL It was a beautiful sunny day on
Friday and that is where I got my sunburn, silly me forgot to put sunscreen on!

My friends arrived on the island and I really never met up with them much at all...which is sad as I was. Saturday, Since Jeremy didn't know if he was ever going to be back on the east coast, he wanted to see as much of the island as he possibly could. We dedicated Saturday to driving to the North Cape to see what was up that way. It was a great drive and I really enjoyed the scenery. I have never been up that way at all, so it was quite the trip for me as well.

On the way home from our drive we stopped in the town of O'Leary for some supper/lunch. There was one lone little diner and that is where we had the best chicken wraps I have ever tasted!!! OMG they were soooooo good! A couple came in with twin baby boys, Jeremy red the news while I ate and watched the babies. I did learn at this little diner that Canada once had a Female Prime Minister....This I did not know (did any of you??) Her name was Kim Campbell. I also learned that Nova Scotia was the first province that had requested to be seperated from Canada...I was so sure it was Quebec...I'm going to have to look up more information on that! Although, it does sound a little familiar...maybe something I learned in histroy many moons ago!

When we arrived back at the campsite on Saturday, my parents rushed us to the car so that we could get to see the fireworks. After mom being all motherly, I was finally allowed to leave the trailer, she told me it would be too cold for shorts and to put on some pants and to take a sweater or coat. I thought she was just being silly...but as usual, she was right...I really should learn not to question her! I was still kinda cold at the fireworks, but it was a great show! Jeremy took some pictures of them, but he only gave me one! LOL We watched the fireworks on the lawn of a friend of the family, nice change from the normal crowd that is associated with fireworks.

Almost as soon as the fireworks were finished, the rain started pouring down on us, so we made a mad dash to the car and headed for the trailer (in a HUGE) line up. Dad was hungry so we stopped at KFC, it was shortly after 11 only to find out that they closed at 11, Dad, being dad got a little angry at this, but we headed for home to cook up some hotdogs.

Sunday, Jeremy wanted to see the beach. Too bad he hadn't of picked that as the place to go on Friday, since Sunday proved to be rainy and yucky out. He did take some beautiful pictures from our little adventures to the beaches...I even found a crab for him to take pictures of. I got my feet wet in the Atlantic Ocean, but that was about it.

I've noted that Brackley Beach has some of the biggest Misquitoes I've ever seen! Huge! We stopped the car to take a picture of the sand dunes and the misquitoes came into the car they were huge and nasty! Needless to say Jeremy gave up the picture opportunity to keep from being eaten alive! (pretty good for a guy with a bug degree don't you think?! haha)

Once back at the trailer, Jeremy packed up and got ready to head for home. I was however staying on the island until Monday.

I had a small nap after he left and got up to hang out with Joan (another season lotter), her husband and son (John..a pepsi drinker, who loves to tormet my dad).

I decided that I needed to have chicken fingers. I was craving them so bad I could taste them, so Joan went to her trailer to get the phone book and came back and called in the order from a restrauant called "Sam's". I was disappointed to open my "chicken fingers" to find "chicken nuggets" what a shame...to this day I still have not gotten my chicken fingers!

Joan is a funny lady, I enjoyed listening to her tell stories and bug my dad. Sunday night we had a huge thunder and lightening storm, so bad it shook the trailer!

Monday...I woke up to rain, so I packed the car! I messaged Melissa from my phone for a weather update, she told me it was sunny out in NB, so I figured I would head home. After brunch, dad decided to lay down for a nap and I couldn't very well leave and not say good bye to him, so I had to wait for him to wake up. By the time he got up...the sun was shinning beautifully, and I didn't want to go home!

That is how I spent Canada Day this year! I hope everyone has as good a time as I did!

2 comments:

jen said...

sounds like you had a great time on the island! the weather nearly cooperated with you too!

Anonymous said...

I like your blog... and I am glad to hear that you will try not to argue with me... of course I am always right..haha..
it was great getting to spend sometime with you..as usual.. just wish we could do it more often. as far as the weather on sunday, with the burn you had it was probably just as well to be rainy.. I am sure you would have forgotten suntan lotion again.. oh btw.. Steven (and Debbie..the trailer by Joan) got burnt way worse then you last weekend.. he feel asleep while floating around in his pool for an hour, was really paying on saturday night when we were talking. just thought you would like to know that.. love ya bunches...